Bust Of Kimon
At the seafront promenade
General Kimon led 200 triremes in 450 BC to free Cyprus
from Iranian. He died, while he was besieging Kition.
Larnaka District Archaeological Museum
Plateia Kalogreon, Tel: (04) 63 01 69
collection of finds from Larnaka area dating back from
Neolithic Age to Roman period is shown.
Pierides Foundation Museum
Zinonos Kitieos 4, Tel: (04) 65 24 95
oldest private museum in Cyprus, set up by Dimitrios
Pierides (1811-1895). It houses ancient, medieval,
Byzantine and more recent objects belonging to the
display case of Modern Greek and Cypriot sculptures could
be seen in courtyard.
Larnaka Fort: Local Mediaeval Museum
was built in 1625 and was used as a prison in the first
years of British rule. It houses District Mediaeval
Museum. The fort is also used as Larnaka Municipal
Cultural Center during summer.
Larnaka Municipal Cultural Center
Plateia Europis-Seafront promenade, Tel: (04) 65 88
old Larnaka Customs warehouses, built in colonial style
(1881), have recently been renovated and turned into
Larnaka Municipal Cultural Center. It houses Municipal
Gallery and the only Paleontology Museum in Cyprus, where
ancient fossilized remains of pygmy elephants and
hippopotami that once lived on the island could be seen.
The Center also has facilities for occasional exhibitions.
Agios Lazaros Church
Plateia Agiou Lazarou
Lazarus is the patron saint of Larnaka. Kition became his
second home after his resurrection by Christ and he lived
here for another 30 years. Saints Barnabas and Mark
ordained him Bishop of Kition.
In 9th century, Emperor Leo VI erected a magnificent
church over his tomb. The church, one of the finest
examples of Byzantine architecture in Cyprus, was
faithfully restored in 17th century and the iconostasis is
an excellent example of baroque woodcarving.
Visitors could see tomb of Saint Lazarus under the
sanctuary and the ecclesiastical museum behind the church
(Tel: (04) 65 24 89)
Eight days before Greek Orthodox Easter, the icon of Saint
Lazarus is taken in procession through the streets of
Approximately 500 m Northeast of Archaeological
is one of the most important ancient city-kingdoms, with
architectural remains dating back to 13th century BC. In
about 1200 BC, Mycenaean Greeks rebuilt it and excavations
have revealed cyclopean walls made of giant blocks of
stone and a complex of five temples.
Kamares area, on Larnaka-Lemesos road
beautiful 18th century aqueduct, which was in use until
Municipal Museum Of Natural History
Leoforos Grigori Afxentiou, Tel: (04) 65 25 69
is located within Larnaka Municipal Gardens and Museum has
displays of rare insects, birds and animals of Cyprus.