of Interest: 2
Cyprus Postal Museum
Savva St. 3B, Tel: (02) 30 47 11
of Cyprus stamps from 1800 onwards. These stamps,
classified internationally amongst the best, are of
significant value in world philately.
Cyprus Jewelers' Museum
7-9 Lefkosia, Tel: (02) 66 72 78
display of traditional jewelers from the end of the 19th
century including ornaments, religious items, silver
utensils and old tools.
Athinon, Tel: (02) 43 08 77
walls, which completely encircle the old city have a
circumference of 4.5 km and possess eleven heart-shaped
bastions. There were only three gates to the city in
North, South and East. One of these gates, Porta Giuliana
called Famagusta Gate, has been restored and is now
Lefkosia Municipal Cultural Center. Vaulted passage and
two side rooms are used for exhibitions, conferences,
lectures and various performances, with the passage
leading to the moat. One of the most typical quarters of
the town close to Famagusta Gate is also being
Nicosia Municipal Arts Center
Varnava 19, Tel: (02) 43 25 77
center is housed in the building of the old power station,
which is one of the finest examples of industrial
architecture in Cyprus. Its aim is to promote contemporary
creativity at its highest level by organizing important
and prestigious exhibitions.
State Gallery of Contemporary Art
Stasinou and Kritis, Tel: (02) 30 29 51 and 30 29 52
collection of paintings and sculpture by 20th century
Cypriots artists are shown.
walking distance from the Archbishopric
the oldest Byzantine church in Lefkosia, it is dedicated
to "Our Lady of Golden Flax" and is believed to
have been built in 1450, by Queen Helena Palaeologos.
St. Tillirias Square
is located near the main Municipal Market, within the
walled city. Converted into a mosque in 1571 by Mustapha
Pasha, who believed that the original 14th century
Augustinian church of St. Mary was built on the spot,
where prophet Omer rested, when visiting Lefkosia. Most of
the original building was destroyed by Ottoman artillery.
The door of the main entrance belongs to 14th century
Lusignan building. Remains of a later Renaissance phase of
the building could be seen at the Northeastern side of the
St., within the old city
in 1872, this used to be the largest church in Lefkosia.
The marble mausoleum to the East of the church contains
relics of the bishops and priests executed by Turks in