There are four painted churches in and around the village.
Church of Agios Sozomenos dates back to the early 16th
century and retains a complete series of frescoes in
post-Byzantine style. Church of Archangelos Michail or
Panagia Theotokos is a timber-roofed chapel, just below
the village and is completely painted in the
post-Byzantine style of the early 16th century. Nearby is
the larger church of Panagia Podithou, which once belonged
to a monastery. It was erected in 1502 and its paintings
are of Italo-Byzantine style. The small church of Agia
Paraskevi, on the old Kakopetria-Galata road, has murals
dating to 1514. The old inn, which has been restored, 'Chani
Kalianon', is an interesting example of rural
km from Nikitari village, off the main Lefkosia-Troodos
road, around 20 km North of Kakopetria
early 12th century church dedicated to Virgin Mary, with
frescoes of 12th century and later periods, considered
being among the finest examples of Byzantine mural
painting in the island. Visitors should ask for the priest
of Nikitari village to escort them.
This fertile valley, well known for its cherries, lies on
the North side of Troodos range. It offers an alternative
route to Troodos through lovely mountain villages of
Kalopanagiotis, Moutoullas, Pedoulas and Prodromos. The
road to Kykkos Monastery is signposted and turns off the
main Lefkosia-Troodos road, just below Evrychou. Marathasa
is also reached from Lemesos-Platres-Prodromos road
(around 65 km from Lemesos).
Agios Ioannis Lampadistis
Village is famous for its sulphur springs and Church of
Agios Ioannis Lampadistis, with excellent frescoes of 13th
and 15th century. Originally a monastery, it is a complex
of two churches and a chapel of various dates. One of the
biggest religious fairs in the valley is held here on St.
John's day, 4th October.
Panagia tou Moutoulla
Less than a kilometer further up is Moutoullas village,
with its tiny 13th century Chapel of Panagia tou Moutoulla,
one of the earliest dated examples of the steep-pitched
wooden-roof type with frescoes dating to 1280. Visitors
can obtain key from the adjacent house. Traditional craft
of wooden carved basins has been preserved in Moutoullas.
The third village up the mountain is Pedoulas, a summer
resort famous for its cherries. Painted church or
Archangelos Michail, in the lower part of the village
dates from 1474. Visitors can obtain the key from the
adjacent house. A few meters from the church is the
Pedoulas Byzantine Museum.