km West of Pedoulas village
most famous and richest monastery in Cyprus. Founded in
1100 and dedicated to Virgin Mary, it possesses one of the
three surviving icons ascribed to Saint Luke. The icon,
covered in silver gilt and enclosed in a shrine of
tortoiseshell and mother-of -pearl, stands at the front of
the iconostasis. The first President of Cyprus, Archbishop
Makarios III served here as a novice. At his own wish, he
was buried at Throni, 3 km West of Monastery and not far
from his native village of Panagia. Religious fairs are
held at Kykkos on 15th August and 8th September.
The Museum of Kykkos houses an important collection of
consecrated vessels and Cypriot antiquities.
km Northwest of Platres, 40 km from Lemesos, on
beautiful monastery was originally founded in 13th
century. Present church dating from 1731,contains many
valuable icons, including a priceless icon of Virgin Mary
plated with silver-gilt from Asia Minor. A large religious
fair is held in the grounds on 15th August. The monastery
is closed for visits.
Mesa Potamos Monastery
Deserted monastery near Platres in an idyllic setting,
with a nearby waterfall.
(05) 24 32 23 and 24 33 47
of krasochoria, meaning 'wine villages', is found on the
South side of Troodos range. Traditions are kept alive in
these villages, where the cultivation of vineyards and
wine making are still the main occupation of inhabitants.
This is the area, which produces the famous local dry red
wine. Main villages in the area are Omodos, Arsos, Pachna,
Koilani and Vasa. The area is reached from the
Lemesos-Pafos road, turning right after Erimi village or
from the Lemesos-Platres road.
Important villages of region include Omodos, Vouni, Pachna
and Arsos, which has an
interesting little Folk Art Museum.
km Southwest of platres
wine producing village, once the property of Sir John De
Brie, Prince of Galilee, with Monastery of Stavros, 'Holy
Cross', standing by stone-paved square. Monastery contains
old icons, excellent woodcarving and other ecclesiastical
objects of interest, as well as a small National Struggle
Museum. A traditional wine press known as ‘Linos’ has
been restored in an old house. A festival is held in the
village every August, and there is a large religious fair
on 14th of September.
km west of Platres
for its pottery and its loukoumi sweet. Visitors can see
Pilavakeion private pottery collection.
km Southwest of Pera Pedi, off Lemesos-Troodos road
attractive wine-producing village. Two kilometers from the
village is single aisled vaulted church of Agia Mavri,
typical of 12th century architecture with murals of the
late 15th century. Village has a local Ecclesiastical and